SEO or Search Engine Optimization is one of the hottest topics in online marketing and always will be. Simply put it can make or break businesses.
I used to call SEO – Self Employment Optimization
Do it right and you can literally make a fortune. Do it wrong and your site can get ranked so poorly that no one ever finds it.
Here are some basic principles you should know.
- Know the keywords that will drive the visitors you want to your site.
- Create original and quality articles over 500 words on a consistent basis using those keywords
- Provide valuable content that people will want to share
- Make your site easy to navigate for humans and search bots
- Optimize each of your pages/posts with titles and descriptions that encourage search users to click.
- Don’t overload your site with gimmicks, ads or lots of plugins
- Don’t fall for ranking schemes or guaranteed rankings
What’s great about WordPress is that there are plugins which make optimizing for SEO much easier.
The above will get you started with basic SEO, but it’s a huge subject and we’re not going to take you down a rabbit hole right now.